Hammams in Turkey: Istanbul:
The Örücüler Bath: shampooing

Shampooing at the Örücüler Bath
< Photo: Oğurlu

The Örücüler Bath was originally built some time before 1489, and is still open for men only. Most of the interior has been refurbished. It is near the Örücüler (Weavers' Gate) and is sometimes called the 'Back Bath' because most of its customers were porters carrying loads on their backs.

The photograph and description are from Orhan Yılmazkaya's beautifully produced Turkish baths: a guide to the historic Turkish baths of Istanbul.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Roman Baths, Cambridge. Part 1: Prelude

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988