Sir Titus Salt (1803-1876)

Sir Titus Salt

After working for a number of years in the family woolstapling business, Salt set up on his own in the centre of Bradford, spinning and weaving alpaca wool. Long concerned about the squalid conditions in which his workforce lived, in 1853 he relocated to a purpose-built mill near Shipley, constructing a village next to it to house his workers.

In addition to housing them, Salt provided for their education (schools, a library, and reading rooms), for their souls (a congregational church), for their leisure (a billiards room and gym), for their health (a cottage hospital), and for their cleanliness (a clothes wash-house, slipper baths, and a Turkish bath). There were no public houses.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Turkish baths and wash-house at Saltaire

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988