Sheffield's Glossop Road Turkish Baths:
the larger hot room in the 1950s

The larger hot room in the 1950s
< Photo: courtesy of Sheffield City Council

The larger of the two hot rooms in the 1950s. The sheeting on the floor was to absorb water from the feet of bathers emerging from the plunge pool on the other side of the door. This is one of two doors placed on either side of the central arch. When originally built, bathers could enter the plunge pool from either room, swimming under the plate glass screen which is between them. This feature was to be found in a number of larger establishments built after the London Hammam opened in 1862.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Glossop Road Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988