Sheffield's Glossop Road Turkish Baths:
the cooling-room

The cooling-room balcony after the baths had closed

< Photo: courtesy of Sheffield City Council

< Photo: Shifrin

The cooling-room in the 1950s. The baths were opened in November 1877 with separate cooling-rooms for smokers and non-smokers1  which remained in use until they were closed, despite many protests from smokers, in 1990. The crude metal framed beds would not have been part of the original furniture.

The cooling-room after the closure of the baths. The already faded yellow curtains have disappeared from the balcony cubicles

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Glossop Road Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988


NOTES
 1. The Swimming baths. Sheffield : the City Council, 1958. p.24     [return]