Newcastle-on-Tyne Infirmary: Forth Banks:
exterior view, 1855

The Newcastle-upon-Tyne Royal Infirmary, 1855
< Courtesy Wellcome Library, London

The Infirmary has a long history, its original building having been erected in 1751, with its first new wing built in 1803. This image shows the building in 1855, just after the addition of another new wing (on the left), named the Dobson Wing after its architect.

John Fife was appointed surgeon in 1837 and Charles John Gibb, later to be a director of each of the two companies which were to own the Pilgrim Street Turkish Baths, was appointed house surgeon in 1849.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Newcastle-on-Tyne Infirmary Turkish baths

Early Turkish baths for animals

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988