Newcastle-on-Tyne Infirmary:
plan and section of the first Turkish baths

Plan of first Turkish bath


Section of first Turkish bath
< 109th annual report of the Newcastle Infirmary, 1860

This first Turkish bath to be installed at the Infirmary, designed by John Dobson, architect of the wing in which it was located, is based on the use of a Roman-style hypocaust. It was soon abandoned after a number of accidents involving patients burning their feet on the hot floor when their protective clogs fell off.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Newcastle-on-Tyne Infirmary Turkish baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988