Dr William Macleod, frcp

Dr William Macleod
< The rise and progress of hydropathy in England and Scotland / Richard Metcalfe (Simpkin Marshall, 1912)

Dr William Macleod studied medicine at Edinburgh and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. After replacing Dr Rischanek (of Graeffenberg) at Ben Rhydding in 1827, he went to Malvern to study hydropathy with Drs Gully and Wilson.

Under his charge, the hydro became extremely popular and in 1859 he was responsible for the early installation of Turkish baths there, only three years after Dr Barter built the first ones at St Ann's near Blarney in Co. Cork.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Ben Rhydding Hydropathic Establishment

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988