Cork Turkish Baths: South Mall:
two advertising cards from entrance passage

Display image of exterior in the 1890s
< Photo: Seamus Gethins, with thanks to Michelle McCarthy, owner, Jacobs on the Mall
Display image of the interior in the 1890s
< Photo: Seamus Gethins, with thanks to Michelle McCarthy, owner, Jacobs on the Mall

These two framed pictures, one with a photograph of the outside of the Turkish baths, and the other with a photograph of the shampooing room, graced one of the walls of the passageway leading to the Turkish baths.

It is not known when they were first put up, but they were presented to Michelle McCarthy, proprietor of Jacobs on the Mall Restaurant which occupies the building today, by the family of the last proprietor of the Turkish baths, Peg Buckley, and they hang there still, dedicated to her memory.

The restaurant is named after Alf Jacobs who first opened the Turkish baths in 1891 and continued to own them until 1938.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Cork Turkish Baths: 30 South Mall

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988