Turkish baths in Ireland

Limerick: 8 Cecil Street

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it completeŚwith images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

Turkish Baths

It is not known when these baths opened or closed. While the entry in a local directory shows that they were open in 1861,1 an undated clip from a local newspaper suggests that the baths were actually being re-opened at this time, after the completion of repairs and alterations.

The baths were situated in part, or all, of a converted georgian townhouse. The clip goes on to state that the temperatures ranged between 130°F and 140°F, and that the baths were fitted with an 'admirable system of ventilation'.2

During 1861 at least, the proprietor of the baths, J F Alexander, also owned the Oriental Baths at 50 Rathmines in Dublin.

This page last revised 03 January 2018

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in Ireland


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988