Dublin:Upper Sackville Street
(Upper O'Connell Street)

Facade of the Dublin Hammam

< Photo: Postcard in the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

Close-up of main entrance Hammam logo

Logo of the hotel and baths


Entrance signs:
'Turkish baths' on arch;
'Hammam Hotel' above

Reverse of postcard

Dr Richard Barter's second Turkish bath in Dublin. It was built as an extension at the rear of a typically Georgian building, then known as Reynold's Hotel, situated at numbers 11 and 12 Upper Sackville Street, and now known as Upper O'Connell Street.

The baths were built behind the hotel which had thirty bedrooms. These, and the public rooms, were refurbished and the establishment renamed the Hammam Family Hotel and Turkish Baths in 1869.

The hotel and baths were destroyed on 5 July 1922 during the civil war. Although the proprietor claimed compensation from the Town Clerk amounting to 100,000 the Hammam never reopened. A new edifice stands on the site today and, significantly, is named Hammam Buildings.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Dublin Hammam, Upper Sackville Street

The Turkish bath as a facility

Heritaging the Victorian Turkish bath: creating a saleable asset

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988