The Charlemont Arms Hotel, Armagh

Wall sign Canopy sign
    < Detail shows the hotel sign painted on the wall         < Detail shows the word HOTEL and, below it,
       to the right of the window above the canopy                the words TURKISH BATHS on the canopy


Hotel
< Photo: Courtesy of the National Library of Ireland

Turkish baths were 'attached' to the hotel by its proprietor Mr J H Mann some time around 1863-4 when he bought the hotel from a Mr John Hughes.

This photograph of the outside of the hotel is from the National Library of Ireland's Lawrence Collection of 40,000 glass plate negatives taken between 1870 and 1914.

The Turkish baths remained open under the proprietorship of Mann's widow Mary until some time after 1894, and under that of Mr James McMahon until at least 1896. It is not known when the baths closed, but the hotel is still open, albeit without its canopy.

Thank you icon

Mary Davies

Catherine McCullough, Curator of the Armagh County Museum

Sara Smyth and Sandra McDermott at the National Library of Ireland

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Armagh: English Street: Charlemont Arms Hotel Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988