King's Cross Turkish Baths, London:
exterior view, 2011

Exterior view of the baths building, 2011
< Photo: Shifrin

This typically Georgian London town house was the home of the King's Cross Turkish Baths from somewhere around 1870 until 1921.

Interestingly, the floor levels of the baths do not appear to have coincided exactly with the windows on the front façade.

The top two floors, accessed through the dark blue door on the right, led to family accommodation set aside for the proprietor or manager, together with rooms which were let to paying guests. But it is not yet clear whether the rooms on the first floor at the front of the house were also let or lived in, or whether they may have been used by the hairdresser and chiropodist.

There seem never to have been any windows at the front which might have lit the basement rooms, though there were a few small windows at the rear.


This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

King's Cross Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988