Dalston Junction Turkish Baths, London, 1882:
longitudinal cross-section of the building

Cross-section of Dalston Junction Turkish Baths building
< The Builder (14 Jan 1882)

The Dalston Junction Turkish Baths were opened shortly after this image was published, either towards the end of January, or at the beginning of February 1882.

Designed by J Hatchard-Smith, architect, to provide Turkish and slipper baths for men and women, the building has separate doors for each—men entering on the left and women on the right. Apart from the lack of a plunge pool for women, the facilities provided for each were the same. But on the days when the women's baths were closed and not being used by a private party, the two cooling-rooms could be combined into a much larger one for use by the men.

The cross-section clearly shows the arrangement of the hot rooms, shampooing room and plunge bath in the basement, the cooling-rooms and slipper baths on the ground floor, and a smoking room and part of the laundry on the mezzanine floor. There was also accommodation for the caretaker on this floor.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Dalston Junction Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988