Carnegie Baths, Dunfermline

Carnegie Baths, Dunfermline

The Turkish baths were a Christmas gift to the people of his hometown from Andrew Carnegie, the American steel magnate and philanthropist. They replaced earlier baths which he had donated, but which were now too small. The new baths included a swimming pool and gymnasium, and were built at a cost of around £45,000.

Designed by the Edinburgh architect Hippolyte Jean Blanc, the building, in Classical Revival style, is faced in grey stone. The foundation stone was laid on 16 July 1902, and the baths were opened almost three years later on 31†March 1905.


The postcard is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Carnegie Baths, Dunfermline

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988