Turkish baths in Workhouses

 

King's Lynn: Extons Road

 

                                         

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

        

Original page with chronology and notes

List of other Turkish baths in workhouses
List of other Turkish baths in the provinces

                           

 


It is not yet known when this Turkish bath was opened.  It was certainly open in 1864 as it was mentioned in local newspaper quoting from a recently published book. The author, Senior Physician to the  Royal Infirmary for Diseases of the Chest, writes that the bath 'proves of great service both to the sick and the healthy' and recommends it for consideration by all workhouse managers.

The writer goes on to praise Mr. Kendall, the Medical Officer to the Lynn Workhouse, who, he claims, was responsible for introducing the first hot air bath 'for the benefit of the poor in the manner described'.

If this is correct, then the Turkish bath must have been installed  early in 1863 (or even before then) as it is known that the workhouses at Fermoy and Lismore both had such baths by then.

It is possible that the author was unaware of the baths in Ireland and really meant that the Turkish bath at King's Lynn was the first to be installed in a workhouse in England.

Further research is needed here, not only to determine when the baths were actually opened, but how they were used and how long they survived.

 

 
 


The original page includes footnotes

Top of the page
                   

 

All complete pages,
with images, footnotes,
glossary & bibliography,
can be reached from the

Printer-friendly single frame
versions of all text pages
(and from them, all images)
can be reached from the

You can bookmark this page

Home Page

You can print this page

Site Map

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:

malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org

The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by him
in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988