William Edward Wiley

Mr W E Wiley
< ©copyright David Gardiner-Hill 2013—reproduced by kind permission of David Gardiner-Hill, great great grandson of William Edward Wiley

William Edward Wiley started making pens and pencil cases in Birmingham in 1850, and in 1862 he commissioned a new three-storey L-shaped factory from local architect John George Bland (c. 1828–98). The building was named the Albert Works, possibly because it was opposite the Victoria Works of pen maker Joseph Gillott.

At the end of the year he opened a Turkish baths establishment on the top three floors at the right hand end of the building, keeping it open till 1870 when the company merged with Josiah Mason and James Perry,  contin-uing under the Perry name. In 1961 it was acquired by British Pens, together with Wiley's original neighbour Joseph Gillott.

The Albert Works is now known as the Argent Centre, a Grade II* Listed Building in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Wiley's Turkish baths

Top of the page


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

©  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023