Dover: Biggin Street:
Biggin Hall, 1990s

Biggin Hall
< Photo: Shifrin

After several years of loss-making, the Council agreed on 27 November 1934 that, on the recommendation of the Baths Committee, the baths should be permanently closed and that 'the building should be used for some other suitable purpose'.1

In July the following year, the Dover Town Council, again on the recommendation of the Baths Committee, agreed a scheme to convert the building into a lecture hall with adjoining public conveniences at a total cost of 1,950. It was argued that a lecture hall holding around 120-130 people was a long felt need in the town, and there would be no difficulty in letting it as 'they received heaps of applications for the use of a small room or hall'.

Biggin Hall opened in 1936 and remains open.

This page first published 01 January 2023

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Dover Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023

NOTES
 1. 'Turkish Baths to become a lecture hall'   Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald   (27 Jul 1935)   p.3 [return]