Dover: Biggin Street:
plans and elevations:
front (south) elevation

Front elevation
< Image: The Surveyor and Municipal and County Engineer

The building was designed by the Borough Engineer Henry E Stilgoe and built by local builders, Messrs R and G Brisley. The contract price was £2,399.1

The external walls, sixteen inches thick for the ground floor and fourteen for the upper floor, were faced with knapped flints to blend with its neighbour, the Maison Dieu. The coping, windows and doorways were of Portland stone.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Dover Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

©  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023

NOTES
 1. 'Dover Corporation Turkish Baths'†† Dover Express†† (5 Jun 1903)†† p.3†† (Credited as being reprinted, with minor changes of tense, from an issue of Survey[or] and Municipal and County Engineer published before the baths were opened.) [return]