Salisbury Turkish baths:
the signs over the entrance to
Plume of Feathers Yard

Since the Turkish baths could not be seen from Queen Street or the Market Square opposite, proprietor Jenkins fixed a sign above the entrance to Plume of Feathers Yard to indicate how they could be reached. This detail from a 1904 photograph of Queen Street looking northwards shows the two arms of the sign attached on either side of a bow window, and joined in front to form a triangle. Above, can be seen part of a painted sign and, below, a protruding hanging sign, both advertising the ironmongery shop which Jenkins also owned, which was entered directly from the street.

The Turkish baths 1904 sign
< Photo detail: Courtesy Frogg Moody

Some time around 1905, a new sign had replaced the original one. Similar in most respects, only the wording was changed, showing a preference for the plural form TURKISH BATHS. In this French Louis Levy postcard, and its close-up detail, Queen Street is seen looking southwards.

The Turkish baths 1905 sign

< Postcard detail: Louis Levy, Paris, c.1905

Queen Street, Market Place

< Postcard: Louis Levy, Paris, c.1905

Both signs protruded over the entrance to a narrow covered passageway leading to Plume of Feathers Yard, off which a 17th century wooden staircase led to the Turkish baths. The passage now leads to the Cross Keys Shopping Centre.

The postcard is from the collection of the Victorian Turkish Baths Project

This page first published 01 January 2023

Thank you icon



Frogg Moody for his 1904 photograph of the Turkish bath sign

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

The Salisbury Turkish Baths

Top of the page


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023