Dublin: Lincoln Place / Leinster Street

 Click for printer-friendly version

                                                                

Turkish baths for horses


1860 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
    Turkish Bath Company of Dublin Limited (Proprs)
    (Mr) Richard Barter (Architect)
    Opened early in year, possibly mid-February (see notes below)
1881 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
    Millar & Jury (Proprs)
1860 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
    Millar & Jury (Proprs)
1900 Turkish baths for horses and other animals
    Baths closed
1970 Building demolished around this date

 

These baths were part of Dr Richard Barter's flagship Turkish baths in Lincoln Place and the dates in the above chronology are those of the whole establishment. However, while we have not yet found any evidence to indicate how long the baths for animals remained open, it seems reasonable to assume that they did so at least until the baths changed hands in 1881.

The main building, with its Lincoln Place fašade, was the first example of Islamic-style architecture in Dublin. But the Turkish bath for horses and other animals was at the rear of the building and had its own entrance in Leinster Street.1


Further research is needed to fill in some of the gaps in the history of this establishment. The current entry should, therefore, be considered as work in progress. It was last revised on 22 February 2011


 

Top of the page