Turkish baths for animals

 

London: Finchley

 

                                         

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

        

Original illustrated page with chronology and notes
           

List of other Turkish baths in London
List of other Turkish baths for animals
 

 

  

Pickford & Company's hospital for horses

 

Pickford & Co, the carriers, appear to have been  started late in the seventeenth century and continued, in some form or other, right up to the present day. From the beginning, horses were used for transporting goods and were still doing so well after the end of World War II. The number owned by the company must have peaked towards the end of the nineteenth century.

By 1919 Pickfords had 1,900 horse-drawn vehicles in London alone, and 1,580 horses to draw them, although by now they already had forty-six motors vehicles. By 1933 there were 628 motors, yet the company still had 866 horse vehicles and 509 horses to keep them in operation. Even as late as 1946 there were 300 horse vans in circulation.

In 1872, Pickfords built a Turkish bath for their horses at their large Finchley depot. During the previous decade a number of such baths had been used for keeping racing horses in good condition and Pickfords must have found this method of sweating their horses equally beneficial.

The bath was heated by what was, in effect, the industry standard Turkish bath heater, Constantine's Convoluted Stove. Constantine, ever keen to obtain a publishable testimonial for inclusion in his advertisements, wrote to Messrs Pickford three years later to find out how the stove was progressing. Pickford's Mr J Hayward replied: 

We use it regularly three days per week, and sometimes oftener. Never less than twenty horses per week are put into it, undergoing sweating, washing, and drying again in an out-room...

The procedure used to sweat their horses in the Turkish bath was almost certainly the same as was later used by the Great Northern Railway, Pickford's Totteridge neighbours. 

Twelve years after its installation, in 1884, Constantine wrote again and this time received a reply from Mr J H Brett who assured him that they still used his bath and found it 'useful and beneficial to the horses.' It is not yet known for how many years longer the bath remained in operation. 
 



HELP WANTED

Please contact us if you know of any references relating to these baths
and especially in relation to their closing date. Many thanks.

 

 
 


The original page includes footnotes,
and a thumbnail image which can be enlarged.
An enlargement of the image can also be found at:

Constantine's Convoluted Stove

Top of the page
                   

 

All complete pages,
with images, footnotes,
glossary & bibliography,
can be reached from the

Printer-friendly single frame
versions of all text pages
(and from them, all images)
can be reached from the

You can bookmark this page

Home Page

You can print this page

Site map

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:

malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org

The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by him
in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988