Turkish baths in asylums

Limerick District Lunatic Asylum

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

Plans for a Turkish bath at the Limerick Asylum designed by the local architect, William Fogerty, were already out to tender at the end of 1861, and the bath was operational the following year.

Nothing further is currently known about its design, but since Barter was likely to have been consulted, and the bath at Cork asylum visited, it seems fair to assume that they were more or less similar. It was already standard practice to examine existing baths before building a new one, and Limerick itself was visited in 1871 prior to the construction of the one at Denbigh asylum in Wales.

Not everyone was convinced of the value of Turkish baths in an asylum. After the Limerick bath had been open just a few months, ‘Ratepayer’ wrote to the Freeman’s Journal asking what the benefits had been.

Robert Fitzgerald, the Resident Medical Supervisor, replied that it was a little premature for any detailed findings but his impression was of ‘unmistakable beneficial results’ and, echoing Charles Lockhart Robertson, continued that it was particularly helpful in cases of melancholia and that ‘As to its detergent and ablutionary powers…[it] has no parallel’.

Again, it is not yet known how long the bath was in use, but there is no mention of it in the asylum’s annual report for 1889.


Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in asylums

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988