Turkish baths in London

Railway Approach (London Bridge)

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page
See also:

Terminus Baths

Very little is so far known about these Turkish baths apart from the changes of ownership shown in the chronology.

According to a lease in the collection of the Southwark Local History Library, Samuel Thompson was still in residence at No.21 Railway Approach—where the rear room was a hairdressers—as late as 1898.

We also know, from a ticket for the coronation procession, that—at least by 1910—there were facilities for women who entered by a separate entrance in Denman Street at the rear of the building. And, from a life-sized enamel sign advertising the Savoy Turkish Baths some years later, we know the women's baths were probably still open until the baths closed in 1921. But we don't know whether there were facilities for women when the baths first opened.

Thank you icon

 

 

Patricia Dark, Southwark Local History Library

The original page includes one or more enlargeable thumbnail images.
Any enlarged images, listed and linked below, can also be printed.


Ticket for coronation procession of King George V on 22 June 1911

Enamelled sign for Savoy Turkish Baths

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in London

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988