Turkish baths in Scotland

Aberdeen: 28˝ Crown Street

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

Aberdeen Turkish baths


Very little is known about this establishment  apart from its opening date, its proprietor, and a sketchy outline of its facilities.

When the baths were opened—the first in Aberdeen—they were stated to be 'experimental' in the sense that they were installed in a temporary wooden building which had previously been a photographic studio. It was intended to replace this later with more substantial premises.

Initially, the baths comprised a waiting room, Dr Johnstone's consulting room for those who wanted medical advice, a changing room, and a variety of baths and showers to meet bathers' requirements. These included, apart from the Turkish baths,

'a hot plunge, spray bath, wave bath, sitz bath, medicated bath, vapour bath, cold plunge, rain bath, douche bath, fountain spray, or any of the others that an epicurean hydropathist may choose to indulge in.'

The baths were open from 7.00 till 9.00, 10.00 till 2.00, and 5.00 till 9.00, and it may be that the baths were open for women bathers at the noontime session.

These temporary baths closed some time during 1879 when the permanent baths were opened a few blocks away at 1 Bath Street.

This page last revised 20 April 2018

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in Scotland
 

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988