Turkish baths in Scotland

Dunfermline: Pilmuir Street

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

The Carnegie Baths

A gift to the town

The Turkish baths were a Christmas gift from Andrew Carnegie, the American steel magnate and philanthropist, to the people of the town where he was born, replacing baths which he had given in 1877. Designed by the Edinburgh architect Hippolyte Jean Blanc, they were built at a cost of around £45,000. The foundation stone was laid on 16 July 1902, and the baths were opened almost three years later on 31 March 1905.

The outside of the building, in Classical Revival style, is faced in grey stone. The interior walls were decorated with polychrome glazed tiles, mainly blue and green, and 'the use of horseshoe arches at openings and niches, as well as a proliferation of traditional curvilinear patterns', emphasize The Moorish theme.

The wall tiles were complemented by mosaic floors and, where walls were plastered they were decorated in pleasing soft tints. By contrast, the cooling-room, though furnished with curtains and carpets supplied by a local company, J & T Scott of Edinburgh, seemed at the time, 

a veritable Turkish apartment with its carved and decorated wood screens, and wall surfaces all elaborately treated in positive colours of rich reds, blues, and gilding all forming a pleasing and attractive eye scheme adding to the perfect comfort of the bath.

In addition to the hot rooms and the cooling-room, the Turkish baths included a shampooing room, a Russian steam bath, plunge pool, showers and dressing rooms. There were also a number of slipper baths but these were replaced on 27 February 1938 an Aeratone foam bath.

Further research is needed to determine how well these beautiful baths were used at different stages of their life, but in 1928 there were 3,507 bathers during the year (1,211 females and 2,296 males), an average of just under 11¼ per day.


Thank you icon

 

 

Stephen Kerrigan, Fife Community Services

The original page includes one or more enlargeable thumbnail images.
Any enlarged images, listed and linked below, can also be printed.


Exterior of Carnegie Baths, Pilmuir Street, Dunfermline

Cooling-room in the Turkish Baths at the Carnegie Institute in Dunfermline

Cooling-room at the Carnegie Turkish baths, c.1905

Cooling-room at the Carnegie Turkish baths, c.1993

Top of the page

Other Turkish baths in Scotland

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988